Sport News

BCCI wants fifth Test of the series, not the only Test: Sourav Ganguly

The fifth and final Test of the series between India and England to be played in Manchester was canceled after the Kovid case surfaced in the Indian camp.

BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has ruled out the possibility of treating the proposed one Test match between India and England as a one-off Test. The former cricketer says that this proposed match should be considered as the fifth and deciding match of the series which was canceled after cases of Kovid-19 were found in the Indian camp.Also Read – Ganguly linked Dhoni’s presence in T20 WC with Ashes, said this on the question of Shastri’s action

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has written to the ICC seeking the decision of the Dispute Resolution Committee (DRC) on the canceled match. The ICC has not yet given any reply in this matter. This match was to be played at Old Trafford, Manchester from 10 September. Also Read – We haven’t seen KL Rahul’s best performance so far: Gautam Gambhir

Ganguly said in an exclusive conversation with PTI on Monday, “We want the series to be completed because this will be our first series win (in England) since 2007. BCCI believes that Test cricket is the original format and it will not be compromised under any circumstances. Also Read – Not IPL, Not IPL, Fifth Test canceled due to Indian players refusing to play: Sourav Ganguly Fifth Test canceled due to reason: Sourav Ganguly

The Indian team had refused to play the Manchester Test after members of the support staff, including head coach Ravi Shastri, tested positive for COVID-19. India were ahead 2-1 against England till the series was postponed.

If the match is categorized as ‘cancelled’, it could result in a sum insured of £40 million for the ECB. He has claimed that this will help him to recover the loss due to the cancellation of the match.

Ganguly was asked whether the BCCI has offered to play two additional T20 Internationals in lieu of Tests during the limited overs series in July next year. “We are ready to play extra ODIs and T20 Internationals and that is not the issue. It’s just that the Test match that will be played later will be the fifth match of the series.

If the ICC feels that the match could not be organized due to Kovid-19, then India will officially win the series 2-1. The cancellation of matches in this way is considered ‘acceptable’ under the World Test Championship’s rules related to Kovid.

Ganguly said, “In the last 18 months, the priority was to cancel the series due to Kovid-19. The BCCI had canceled their home series against South Africa last year due to which we lost Rs 4-5 crore.

He also expressed the hope that in future there will be concrete ‘medical advice’ in such cases so that the series can be continued even if cases of Kovid are found within the team.

The former captain said, “Because we know how damaging it is for viewers and television viewers, especially when such an exciting series is being played. Test cricket is the first priority of BCCI.

Ganguly said that the BCCI was disappointed that the match could not be organized but it could not put pressure on the worried players beyond a limit.

“We are extremely disappointed that this series has ended midway. The only reason for this was the outbreak of Kovid-19 and the safety of the players. We can force them only up to a limit. The pandemic is so bad that no one can go beyond a certain limit.

Ganguly was asked whether senior players, who felt uncomfortable playing, were being considered for playing a new team, he replied in the negative.

He said, “No it was not an option as Yogesh Parmar (junior physio who tested positive before the match) had close contact with all the players. So it was definitely a cause for concern. This is something that no one has control over and the players were accompanied by their families.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Day
Night