In the ongoing probe into the death of late Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, the central government on Tuesday said no effective information was found by the Bureau of Narcotics Control (NCB) among film industry people and drug smugglers. The so-called Nexus has been unveiled.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kishan Reddy, in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha, said that the NCB had been conducting searches, seizures, arrests and investigations continuously throughout the year on functional information obtained from it or other sources.
“During the lockdown of Covid-19, the NCB did not receive any effective information that would reveal the alliance between the people of the film industry and the drug smugglers,” he said.
“However, in this regard, a case was filed by the Mumbai unit of the NCB on August 26, 2020,” Reddy said. So far 10 people have been arrested in the case. Drugs such as ganja, hashish, tetra hydro cannibanol and laseric acid de-ethylamide were seized during the operation.
Read more: NCB says Rhea Chakraborty names Sara Ali Khan, Rakul Preet and Simon Khambata in drug case
Reddy was responding to a question on whether the government had conducted a detailed investigation into the alliance between those involved in the film industry and the drug trade during the Kodi-19 lockdown.
Significantly, there has been a lot of fuss over the drug case since the investigation into Sushant Singh Rajput’s death. The NCB has made several arrests since the drug connection. The biggest name is Sushant’s girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty, who is in jail till September 22. At the same time, the investigating agency has arrested several drug dealers.